Fruška Gora lies near Serbia’s second city, Novi Sad. The name Fruška originated from the old Slavic name Frug, it is a synonym for an old germanic tribe, Franks. Having a great age-long history dating back to the second millennium, the Fruška Gora is a national park that attracts a lot of visitors all year round. It is a national park about 80 kilometers long.
With over thirty monasteries built, and just about sixteen of which are still standing and accessible today. These monasteries were founded during the great Serbian migration.
In 1670, it had the biggest fraternity of all monks on Fruška Gora consisting of 12 Elders, and 90 priests. In 1690, during the Great Serbian Migration, the priests fled the Monastery and moved to Szentendre taking resources, relics and ancient rarities with them. They later came back to Krušedol in 1697.
At the point when the Ottomans were withdrawing before Prince Eugene of Savoy during the Austro-Turkish War of 1716 to 1718, the monasteries were plundered and ransacked, however, it was revamped later.
Monasteries like The Krušedol monastery is a Serbian Orthodox cloister on the Fruška Gora mountain in the Syrmia locale, northern Serbia, in the territory of Vojvodina. Down the southern inclines of Fruška Gora, close to the town of Irig, lies Krušedol Monastery. Enclosed by a recreation center and chestnut trees, the yard of this sanctum is decorated with little well.
Residences spread along each side of the sanctuary, and a bounty of blossoming flowers beautifies the yard. This Monastery was established by the Branković family, the last dictators of Srem. The sanctuary is devoted to the Annunciation of the Holy Virgin. It is accepted that the developments were started by the autocrat Đorđe Branković (who later turned into a priest and took up the name of Maxim) toward the start of the sixteenth century, and that they kept going 50 years. It is because of its rich authentic treasury, well-known iconostasis, and numerous different relics, Krušedol Monastery is viewed as one of Serbia’s most significant Monasteries.
These days, it is likewise outstanding as a tomb – close to the relics of the Branković family, it contains the relics of patriarch Arsenije III Čarnojević, duchess Ljubica Obrenović, ruler Milana Obrenovića, and numerous others. Dissimilar to most cloisters of Fruška Gora, Krušedol Monastery endured no harm during the Second World War, yet the Monastery treasury had been looted. Arranged only a few kilometers from Krušedol Monastery are the cloisters Grgeteg and Mala Remeta, similar to the lakes Šatrinačko and Dobrodol.
Another monastery worth considering is the Kovilj Monastery The Kovilj Monastery is a thirteenth-century Serb Orthodox Monastery in the Bačka locale, in the northern Serbian territory of Vojvodina. In the thirteenth century, the first Serb Archbishop Saint Sava established this monastery and dedicated it yo the archangels Michael and Gabriel. It is considered “one of the most precious monuments of Bačka, giving it the nickname Jewel of Bačka”, therefore being protected and preserved by the state since 4 August 1949 as the social landmark. The Monastery is situated close to Kovilj, a rural town of Novi Sad. It is located only south of the town where the Special Natural Reserve “Koviljsko-Petrovaradinski Rit” starts, a wetland in the valley of the Danube, extended along its left bank. The Monastery Kovilj is in the western segment of Šajkaška, a recorded district of south Bačka. The history is such that the Kovilj Monastery was built toward the closing of the fifteenth century or toward the start of the sixteenth century. Before the Karlovac Peace Treaty in 1699, Kovilj Monastery has been assaulted a few times by Turks and set to fire. Kovilj Monastery was frequently remade during its history. Kovilj Monastery is controlled by a number of profoundly instructed priests that take specific consideration of this blessed spot, other than their commitment to supplications and normal commitments, and produce ascetic items that are exceptionally prized – the Monastir nectar, different products of the soil liquors.
The Hopovo monastery is a beauty to behold and another great place to visit. Hopovo Monastery was established in the mid-sixteenth century in the core of the Fruska Gora Mountain as the heritage of autocrat Djordje Brankovic, on the bulwarks of a previous church. The Hopovo Monastery used to be a solid social and instructive focal point of Serbs. For a certain timeframe, the Hopovo Monastery was the seat of the episcopate and Monastery School, and habitation of the acclaimed social creator and author Dositej Obradovic. Hopovo Monastery is one of the biggest Monasteries among the sixteen Medieval Monasteries of Fruška Gora Mountain territory. For its compositional qualities and fantastic and well-safeguarded fresco works of art Novo Hopovo Monastery positions among the most significant Serbian strict structures of the period. Engineering of the agile Hopovo Church pulls in extraordinary consideration as the obscure ace prevailing in one of a kind mix of the conventional Morava style of design and components of the European and Islamic sacral expressions. The focal piece of the Novo Hopovo Monastery church had been fresco painted in 1608 by an obscure gifted ace, likely from the Mount Athos, while frescoes in narthex date from around 1654. Novo Hopovo Monastery was continual regarding the clique of Saint Warrior Theodores Tyrone and keeps the Holy relics of the Saint in the enormous casket before the special stepped area.
Here is the list of the sixteen monasteries in Fruška Gora:
• The Krušedol monastery founded between (1509-1514),
• The Staro Hopovo monastery founded between (1545-1546),
• The Novo Hopovo monastery founded between (1496-1502),
• The Beočin monastery founded between (1566-1567),
• The Rakovac monastery founded between (1566-1567),
• The Vrdnik – Ravanica monastery founded between (1566-1569),
• The Velika Remeta monastery founded between (1562),
• The Grgeteg monastery founded between (1545-1546),
• The Bešenovo monastery founded between (1467-1546),
• The Petkovica monastery founded between (1566-1567),
• The Šišatovac monastery founded between (1545-1550),
• The Kuveždin monastery founded between (1520),
• The Đipša monastery founded between (near the end of the 15th century),
• The Privina Glava monastery founded between (the 12th or the 16th century),
• The Jazak monastery founded between (1736),
• The Mala Remeta monastery founded between (1562)
The Branković family built the monasteries of Fruška Gora to proceed with the old state overseeing conventions of the Nemanjić family.